Sunday, April 27, 2014

Studio Site Interview 4/27

Interviews

#1 Woman, 58 years old (had keys right next to my site)

  • "Something o bring new and old residents together" - "A library. I find myself making so many trips to strand" (laughs).
  • Approved the idea of a library / green house.
#2 Group of 14 years old
  • After a concise decision would like to see a recreational park for hanging out and their parents not thinking they're up to no good
  • Liked my idea, but I had the impression they would not be using it.
#3 Luciano, Italian resident of the area
  • Wants ice cream / yogurt places / "A cafe shop where you could get a variety of pastries and desserts and just hang out with family".
  • Did not think the area necessarily needed a greenhouse space. He suggested to me a museum or cinema instead.


#4 Pat, 85 years old, works in the Union, lived in Brooklyn his whole life

  • Chatter box, had a lot to say about gentrifiers, initial response when I asked him what would be one thing you'd change or add to the neighborhood, "Get the yuppies out."
  • Then answered reasonably, "Get people better educated, with speaking, politics and respect. This would benefit the area a lot more. I don't want to live to see what they're going to really make out of this place"
  • Pat was the most bitter person about gentrification, but had quite the argument to defend his reasoning.
  • Like my idea of a two-story library and greenhouse for young and old residents to leisurely enjoy themselves in their neighborhood.
#5 Couple with an Infant
  • Would like to see a park or recreation area for kids to have fun and emphasized the need for it to be safe.
  • Approved my idea.
#6 Middle - Aged Man
  • Did not directly answer whether or not he would change / add anything to the neighborhood but stated that there were plenty, maybe too many bars in the neighborhood so I interpret this as staying away from anything that will attract a younger, drinking crowd more than Brooklyn already does.
  • Walked away before he could tell me whether he liked my idea, but because of his answer I would claim he would.
#7 Latino Young Women
  • Asked for a grocery market that had similar food offered in Manhattan stores, like Trader Joe's. Typically around Skillman Avenue, there are deli markets and cheaper grocery stores
  • Smiled and nodded at the idea of a greenhouse library space.
#8 Child , about 10 years old
  • I asked her if she would like to see a frozen yogurt or ice cream shop hangout in her neighborhood and she said "Yes! That would be the greatest idea ever! We don't have many but i love ice cream". I asked her favorite flavor, she replied with "Chocolate with chocolate sprinkles".
#9 Child's Mother
  • She said the ice cream shop would be great idea, if it was safe and a spot large enough to hang out for more than 10 minutes, where her kids could run around and play for awhile.
  • Approved my idea, and said she could she herself there a lot.
#10 Homeless Man
  • I was hesitant to ask him because he did not technically live on Skillman Avenue and he doesn't pay to live there, but Brooklyn is his home so I continued to ask what he would change about the area..
  • Should have expected him to say, "A place where I can sleep comfortably and it be affordable, i have no money but I need somewhere"
  • Seemed indifferent about my idea because it wasn't going to help him have a place to sleep at night.
#11 Mildred, 56 year olds, lived there her whole life and has rent control on her apartment
  • "Not a single thing, I think it's great how it is. Plenty of nostalgia here."
#12 Average Cute Hipster Guy
  • Would like to see a club like in Manhattan near the area. Not necessarily in the neighborhood but something the people near Bedford or here could get to.
  • When I suggested my idea, he was embarrassed of his answer and agreed that my proposal for a site was probably a better solution to the tension between young and old residents and even class demographics. I told him I could resemble it after a night club if he wanted, he laughed.
#13 Girl, 20 years old
  • Work out center that could offer workout classes for a small fee. But the place couldn't be gross and super cheap.
  • Liked my idea of a library/ greenhouse between the residential houses.
#14 Girl, about 22 years old
  • Flea market shops, boutique, basically anything fashion friendly and girly
  • Agreed my idea would do well, but questioned how it would blend it. And I answered that i technically didn't want it to, and want people to notice it enough to make them intrigued.

#15 Old Man, resident of 30 years

  • Annoyed by the young kids trying to take over the Brooklyn area, and would like to see, "Them not coming in here and thinking they have authority. It's disrespectful. Design a place to keep them occupied and we'll take back our neighborhood, though it already is too far along with their destruction".
  • Approved of my idea.





No comments:

Post a Comment