Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Brooklyn Historical Society / Research Progress


   Our class visit to the BHS a new experience for many of us from the great neighborhood to what the museum had to offer us. Elizabeth Call, The head of Reference and User Services compiled a concise and short presentation that offered us websites to reference while doing research for our project in Studio. I used the Department of Buildings website that Elizabeth walked us through to find my lot number and block number for 44 Skillman Avenue, Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

   The websites shown in the presentation have been extremely helpful with clarifying and researching my lot. I had been ahead on researching pictures for Studio, as well as articles for Seminar, so instead I used the websites to give me descriptive details about what is going on at the site and the property profile overview. On the website I found other side information that would be interesting to incorporate in my research and book; violations, closing date, occupancy. It really started to put together a timeline for this space, that will allow me to approach the pop-up book with a story for the block of Skillman Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment