Monday, February 24, 2014

Studio: Pinning Together The Pieces to the Lost Thimble Pin Cushion

Walking along the streets of Amsterdam, I stumbled across a small oval shape hand stitched of different fabrics, and a satin destroyed X on both sides. I looked around and didn't see a store I though it belonged to. I knew it was a thimble pin cushion because of its small shape and ability to catch on to ones finger, making it the perfect necessity for sewing. There was a brewery to my left and a smoke shop after that. Figuring it didn't come from there I walked a few more steps and found an antique book shop. I walked in and showed the owner, a small grey haired man with glasses who went by the name of Jack what I had found. I told him I was confused how it could end up on the cobblestone road if there is no sewing shop near by. It was beat up that was for sure, the once white satin X was now a muddy grey and the hand stitches were beginning to fray. It made me sad that this once valuable and vital tool for a seamstress was now missing. The owner of the shop pointed over to an advertisement that hung on the store's wall. It was an ad that said a famous seamstress who went by the name Jesse Stein, came through town to sell some of her work at a local fair. By the look of the poster, it seemed she was only passing through town and continuing on a journey across the country. To make sure this small piece continues to have it's justice and be used like it was by previous owner, I will use it for my own sewing use.

No comments:

Post a Comment