Monday, March 17, 2014

Seminar: Research: What I'm Up to With Skillman Avenue..

For the Interpretation Bridge Assignment in class, I am designing my site to be located on Skillman Avenue, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. To get there from Manhattan, you would take the L subway line to Lormier Street. My site is located in a residential area, nestled between a street filled with markets and small miscellaneous shops and the other side a loud, busier intersection with a highway residing above it. However my exact location falls closer to the shops, making it a lot less quiet. The street is filled with apartments and houses and scattered trees and dead garden beds. The street is dull looking; it lacks color and greenery. What I intend to do with my site is create a greenhouse space, open to the community to come sit and read books, share time with neighbors and help support the greenhouse plants.
My research paper topic will primarily discuss gentrification, and how to resolve conflict between new and old residents in Williamsburg while it undergoes a social and physical transformation in the neighborhood. I will also touch upon benefits of a greenhouse and how the community will benefit from greenhouse health affects as well as how this is a good social aspect to have in a residential neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment